HOW WILL I COPE? - Episode 2
"Yhaaaaaaawwwwwhhhhhhh... Alhamdulillah!" yawning as I wake from the shot nap.
She is still sleeping soundly on my chest, I always wonder how she is so convenient that way. She once said she loves my big broad chest, I smile to myself remembering how those words sounded in my ear, is like she was flattering me. Now staring at her face makes me realize how much I have been hurting her since yesterday night, "poor cute girl, she has got a swollen eyes" I murmur to myself.
"I wish I could just listen to her sorrow and annul my decision on taking in a second wife but it has already been finalized, I have already taken the step and there is no more going back. This is sunnah and decision and responsibilities are my duty as a man. I just have to go where my heart is leading me, so help me Allah" I think, taking a deep sigh
"Allaahu akbaru Allaahu Akbar..." My phone's prayer alarm rings, I check the time "Subhanallah, it is maghrib time" I say loudly with surprise, this wakes her.
"Maa'sha'Allah! Alhamdulillah! How long have I been sleeping habeeby?" She ask as she tries to get up
"I arrived around 5 and this is almost 7, probably two hours" I reply her as I also get up to prepare for solat
"Subhanallah! I haven't prepared your meal" she exclaims sadly
"Don't worry dear, am going to the masjid right now and I won't return till after Ishai so you can take your time. Just prepare something simple, you are exhausted already" I say as I leave for Masjid.
........
On my way from the masjid, I keep thinking of how to comfort her. She is my treasure and the mother of my children. I never want to make her cry but she is too much like a cry baby and whenever she cries, it hurts me so much. I think it will be easy for her because she has much knowledge of the deen she is a cut above almost every woman of deen and am always proud of that, "but why is it so much difficult for women to accept a co-wife?" I ask myself because I couldn't comprehend. "I have seen different polygamous houses where some are peaceful and some are always like battlefield. I remember how my Mum threatened my Dad with divorce back then when she heard he wanted to marry another woman. My Dad just had to concur in order to allow peace to reign, "he has been known as a gentle peaceful man on earth" i say smiling to myself. But come to think of it, women just can't be understood, what is the big deal in just sharing your husband with another woman? Women like to hang around with each other but they can never want to share the same husband, why?
While on this thinking, I hear some voices of quarrel, I try to listen to know the source, "I think it is coming from Abu Summayah's house, these women are at it again" I guess. Ever since almost a year now that we moved into this our current house, we have sometimes heard their quarrels but we are never curious about what is going on. All I know is that Abu Summayah and his family leave in that house.
Abu Summayah is a man around his golden age, he prays in the same Masjid where I pray and we always exchange salamo, I have always known him as a cool chearful man. He even has this big beards I envy, his beards almost reach the size of Sheik Mufti Menk's and I always admire that because I am not gifted with such a big beard but Alhamdulillah, I also have enough.
"In shaa Allah today, am going to know what those quarrels are all about" I conclude.
Now reaching Abu Summayah's house, I see some people discussing in front of their gate while some enter to quench the fire of the quarrel. I also enter the gate then I see a Lady running towards my direction while a woman is running after her, some women are also chasing after them. All in my direction! I am scared as I stand still not knowing what is going on, "should I catch the lady running towards me or I catch the woman running after her?" I can't conclude so I stand still as the running lady reaches and holds my cloth, she hides behind me pleading "Abu, save me! She wants to kill me!" The chasing woman now reaches me trying to drag out the lady, "Abu, e má dàásíi! She almost kill my daughter and am also going to kill her today..." She says with rage.
As a man, I try to settle this women's war but they seem so strong and I also keep struggling till the other women get to us. Still, the lady is holding my cloth which makes me be in the middle of the fight. The women try to hold the woman back but she still persists, while this is going on, I see another woman running towards us. She takes hold of the other woman from the women's grasp and they start fighting, they drag each other with their hijabs. "What a disaster" I exclaim
The lady holding me releases my cloth to join the fight, I guess one of the women is her mother. The other women struggle to put an end to this battle but they can't
Now that am free from the lady's grasps, am relieved. I stand still for some minutes while watching the fights, i try to do the calculation of what is really happening but still I can't solve the equation "it is too complex" I guess. Then I decide to get in between the fights but I receive a blow on my nose. It pains me so much that I think the bones are broken, so I decide to stay out. I check on my wrist watch, "Subhanallah! This is almost ten, Ummu Yaseer would have been so worried because of my lateness" I say, as I try to hurry out of the compound then I catch a glimpse of a man sitting at the balcony of their house, "that is Abu Summayah" I conclude, then I hear a cry of a girl crying on the scene "Ummy, anti Summayah! Stop fighting" she cries as she tries to get in their middle. I can't understand what is really going on, but I know one of the woman and the lady is Abu Summayah's wife and daughter. I remember my wife again, so I leave. On my way, I hear some side talk of some women discussing
"Heard Summayah and Maymunah fought and Summayah beat Maymunah to comma, so it causes dispute between their mothers" says a woman
"Who is the Maymunah because I only recognize Summayah" asks the second woman
"Maymunah is the second wife's only daughter, she even uses Niqab" the first woman reply
"I thought the niqabee is Abu Summayah's third wife, I never know she is his daughter. Is the girl married?" Asks the third woman
"Is it a must she is married before veiling her face?" A woman in hijab interrupts
"that is the implication of a polygamous home, there is no way there won't be war even if it is once in a while" says the first woman
"I pray these women won't kill their children one day because theirs is too much" says the second woman.
"But this is the first time it involves this Eleha girl because she comes to buy things in my house and I have known her to be a gentle girl" says the woman in hijab.
I leave their side, now I seem to be getting the right answer after the long calculation. The war is between the wives and their daughters but what could really have cause that? This makes me fear polygamy more because it is a simple practice but complicated to understand!
.........
Now getting home, I can hear a sweet aroma of a delicious food. "Ummu Yaseer is at it again, that is why she will always be habeebaty " I smile.
I enter saying my salam and go straight to the kitchen, she doesn't notice my arrival as she is so busy with what she is frying. Standing behind her, I glares at her figure; she wears an armless top and a bump short, that reveals her complete figure. I smile at myself admiring my wife as if am seeing her for the first time, she really has this great figure! I silently walk near her, "Habeebaty!" I whisper in her ear, she is taken with sudden surprise, she takes a deep sigh as she place her hand on her chest "do you want to kill me, you almost scared me" she says.
I give her a big smile, "What shall I help you with?" I ask
"Go and rest, am already done" she replies
"But I insist, I want to help you in here because I won't like you to be too tired for me later" I tease
She bursts into laughter, "no wonder! Later? I suspect, hnnnnnn..., am done with the rice, the omelette is ready, also the plantain, what remains now is the stew, I just have to warm it" she says
"OK, I will take care of that, just have a sit and watch me" I reply with a smile.
Getting the pot of stew from the cupboard, I can sense she is starring at me as she sits behind me, "what is she thinking again?" I think but I can't really guess
Suddenly, I feel a back hug, she hugs me tightly that I become confused again, "Olubukola, what is it again, I think you are already getting over it" I say as I hear a sound of sobbing.
"Again?" I think
"Why do you want a second wife, am I no more good enough for you?" She asks as she continues to sob
"When are the kids coming home, have you called Ummy to confirm?" I ask as I try to change the topic.
In fact, I don't know what to say to her, I don't know how I will convince her because I know she knows all the Islamic rulings on this, so all I have to say, she knows already. I don't want this to change her because it will never change me and my love for her.....WATCH OUT FOR EPISODE 3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vote: Hon Rilwan Adesoji Akanbi for Oyo South Senatorial seat.....under the Platform All progressive congress(A.P.C)