HOW WILL I COPE? - Episode 7
It is Sunday morning! I get up very early around 5 to have my haedoh bath. I don't come along with an extra clothe because I thought I will be spending only a night at most not knowing both of them will tie me down till today. I wonder what they want to say to habeeby that make them insist that he should come. It is really pissing me off!
After my bath, I change to one of Ummy's clothes and I wash mine. I pray my fajr and start my adhkars afterward. I haven't done half of the morning adhkars I usually do when I start dozing. I don't really know what is going on with me these days, I have been feeling dizzy, headaches, loss of appetite and I also sleep a lot. I thought it is malaria and I have used various antimalaria drugs but am still not getting myself. I think I have to visit our doctor. I leave the musalah and dive in the bed. I am about to enter my dream land when I hear some tiny knocks, that should be Yaseer, I guess.
"Asalamuhalykum" he says as he knocks.
"Wahlykum salam warahmatullah wabarakaatuhu dear, come in" I receive him with a smile. He climbs the bed and I give him a morning hug. He is really growing well as I want, Alhamdulillah.
"How was your night?" I ask
"Alhamdulillah! Ummy, are we going home today? Grandma said Abby is coming, is he coming to pick us?"
"Yes dear, have you say your wake-up dua?"
"No, Alhamdulillah ladhi ahyaana ba'damaah amatana wa'ilaehi nushur" he utters
"Maa'sha'Allah! That is my boy! Oya go and perform solat" I say, he gets down the bed and run off.
"Alhamdulillah rabbi lihalamiin" I say...
My phone rings, it is habeeby! I tap on the recieve,
"Asalamuhalykum dear" he says
"Wahlykum salam warahmatullah wabarakaatuhu, when are you coming?" I ask
"I will be there before 10 in'shaa'Allah, are you missing me already?" He asks
"A lot" I reply
"Will be there soon" he says, ending the call after we exchange salam.
I can sense depression in his voice. My parents are scaring him! He may even be thinking they want to withdraw me from him. I know Habeeby very well, he also has a fragile heart like me, the only difference is that he is a man and goes through it quickly than I do. He called me four times yesterday when I get my phone charged but he neither mentioned anything to me nor asked me about what my parents are up to, he is only showing me his brave side. I get up and sit on the bed with my leg crossed. I know he fears my Ummu and Alhamdulillah, she didn't hear our conversations that day, all she heard was "please let your telling her be after I leave tomorrow", I was so happy, else... I can't imagine what she would do if she heard it all and she has been disturbing me on what the matter is since that day. She nags a lot on my loss of weight that he called habeeby and yelled at him. She won't stop saying he isn't taking care of me and badmouthed him in my presence. I don't know how to defend him, I am suffering on my own already and she is adding to it. Tears gather in my eyes, am about to cry again! I hear a knock and salam, it is Ummy. I quickly rub off my tears,
"Wahlykum salam warahmatullah wabarakaatuhu, enter ma" I reply
She enters and sits on the bed
"Good morning dear, how was you night?" She says, staring at me. I quickly grab my qimar and put it on.
"Be deceiving yourself, can you see how lean you have become now? It is better you tell me what he is doing to you so that I will know how to deal with him when he comes" she says
Tears roll from my eyes, "Ummy! Why can't you please leave my marriage alone? I am the one that brought him home, I wasn't force to marry him. Why do you like to blame him for everything? He is trying his best to take the best care of me, still you don't approve him. We love each other and we are already married, isn't it high time you took him as your son? He is my husband and the father of my children..." I say as I sob
She make a deep sigh, "Ok...! I will leave your marriage alone...! And I never want to hear any complain in the future" she says and angrily walk out of my room. She looks frustrated!
I lie down on my bed as I continue to sob. I don't know when I enter my dream land, I fall asleep...
I wake up around some minutes to 10am, "habeeby will soon arrive", I think.
I get up and go into Abby's room, he isn't there. Maybe he hasn't return from Masjid. I can't find Ummy around also, I call on her but get no response, "where could they go?", I don't know.
My kids are sleeping soundly in the sitting room. We have to start preparing, I wake them up and take them to the bathroom for bath. I am dressing them when Abby enters,
"Asalamuhalykum" he greets
"Wahlykum salam Abby, where were you? I couldn't find Ummy also" I ask
"Your Aunt is around, she is having some issues with her husband because he wants to bring in Mathna. Her husband wants her to return, so we had a family meeting" he explains.
"Ehehn! I saw her at Oke church when I was coming, ehyah! Is she fighting her husband ni? I ask
"Why do you think she came home? She is asking for divorce, she already packed home with her children. You know your aunt, she is exactly like your mother. They like to fight off whatever displease them" he says
"Why does Aunt lack patient like this? Is divorce the next step to take?" I say with anger, I have always detested it whenever I hear a woman divorces her husband because of mathna... Come to think of it, I also thought of divorcing at first! Yes, it will surely come to the mind but it is never the best measure to take.
"Don't blame her yet, we will make sure she returns to her husband..." Says Abby
Ummy enters, she says salam and we respond. She goes straight into her room, she is still angry with me. Abby stands up and walk into his room. I am already done with my kids dressing... I hear a knock,
"Asalamuhalykum", it is habeeby, I respond his salam with excitement. I stand up, he opens the door and I fall into his embrace.
"Abby! Abby!" The kids shout as they jump in happiness, he releases me and bend to hug his kids. He gives them kisses, Ramsiyah holds on him more tightly, she doesn't want to let go of him. He carries her and sit on the sofa.
"Daddy's daughter!" I say
I catch Ummy watching us from the kitchen, she quickly turns away and pretends not to see us. I don't know why she dislikes him this much.
"Where is Abby and Ummy?" Asks habeeby
"Ummy is there in the kitchen and Abby is in his bed room" I reply.
He wants to drop Ramsiyah but she insists on him to carry her, he carries her and goes straight to the kitchen first, I hear him make salam to my Mum and she responds though not warmly as a mother in-law suppose to greet her son in-law. I make a gesture to him to come, he leaves the kitchen and comes to me,
"Go to Abby first, Ummy is currently upset" I tell him
He goes to Abby's room, I can hear Abby greeting him very warmly as usual then I hear them discussing. I want to go near the door to hear what they are discussing but that is eavesdropping and I don't want a molten lead to be poured into my hear on the day of qiyamoh. So, I leave with Yaseer and go into Ummy's bedroom, I start packing my kids clothes. I stop for a while watching Yaseer as he is helping me, he is behaving like an adult again. He likes to stick to me a lot more than to his Dad, unlike Ramsiyah. He takes after me in almost everything, I smile.
Ummy enters, she franks her face to lemme know she is still angry with me, she knows I can't withstand that look on her face. I take hold of her cloth, "what is it?" She asks
"Ummy! Why don't you welcome Abdulrahman, Is it because you are angry with me?"
"How else should I welcome him? You have told me to leave you alone and I am doing that, what else do you want me to do?" She asks
"Ummy! Walahi talahi! Abdulrahman is taking good care of me more than you can imagine, he is not bad as you think. Don't compare him with the bad so-called sunnah people you know. You should be happy and thankful to Allah that I have him as my husband" I say
"Don't worry, he will soon marry a second wife and you will know my fear then" she says, her words really challenge me
"If he wants to have a second wife, then he is welcome! It is sunnah and I will be glad to earn the reward of a patient and dutiful wife. He is capable..." I say and she cuts in
"Hmm! Omodé ò moògùn, óún pèé léfòó! You think polygamy is that easy, you think he will be able to hug you like he did when he arrived when you become two? You never know men. That is why I always tell you to get a job, 90% of men change when they have a second wife. My Sister is now back home because of that, your Abu should have briefed you. And I am going to show her husband that she has a Sister..."
I cut in, "It is better you settle it than adding to the blazing fire Ummy, polygamy is not that bad, some people who practice it are the bad ones. I have seen some good ones which are encouraging"
"I also don't support her divorce but she has her reason. Her husband is not responsible to start with, he isn't worth marrying a second wife at all because he hardly fulfills his responsibilities. My Sister is the one that pays her kids' school fees, she said she took that step because staying with him would make no difference. So, instead of dealing with the polygamy problems beside her suffering, she took divorce as option" she explains
"But still Ummy, you have to encourage her to go back. What of the children? She should think of them and besides, she is still young, jes above 40. Does she want to remarry? Then she will have to become a second or third wife and what hope does she have that the would-be man will take care of her and her children? Else she wants to leave her children behind and that is the worst of options because he didn't take care of them when she wass there and definitely he won't take care of them if she leaves them, she will jes turn her children to the second wife's slaves and this may affect their future. Imagine those children whose future have been jeopardize courtesy of divorce! She does listen to you, please talk to her. Polygamy is worth enduring for her children's sake" I respond
"You have really spoken well, I will try and talk to her", she replies.
Alhamdulillah that I am able to convince her.
"Ummy! What if you hear that Abdulrahman wants to have a second wife? What will you do?" I ask, trying to get the prediction of what she will do when Abby tells her
"Not what if, I know he'd someday! It is common practice among the tablig..." She says
"He is not a tablig, Ummy!" I quickly respond "He is jes someone who only follows the kitab Wa sunnah..."
She cuts in, "whatever you call him and you have told me to stay away from your marriage. What will I do than to watch, I just don't want to see you coming to me and cry when he does that"
"I won't come to you and cry in'shaa'Allah!" I respond
She squeezes her face in suspicion, "or is he already planning it? Is that what you asked your Abby not to tell me?" She asks
I fake a smile, "I don't know, won't we eat before we go?" I ask in other to ignore her question
"You know you want to eat and you went back to sleep after solat. I only prepare tea for my kids, am going out to get them bread" she says as she get up
"Ah! Ummy, am hungry!" I say, holding my stomach. She is no more angry with me and am happy to hear her response to if my husband marries a second wife. She won't give us much problem as she said.
"Am joking, go and serve the tea. I will be right back" she says as she leaves the room.
Looking at Yaseer, he has fallen asleep. He slept late yesterday night because he played game on my phone. Our 'women talks' must have bored him and made him fall asleep...
Habeeby calls me, "Yes dear" I answer
I stop what I am doing and go into Abby's room to meet them. Abby orders me to sit beside him on the bed while habeeby sits on his plastic chair facing us.
Ramsiyah is on the bed sleeping.
"I have talked a lot to your husband and we had some good headways. So, I want to urge you both to never stop loving and caring for each other. Also Kafayat, I have a request from you" says Abby, turning to me
"What is it Abby?" I ask
Habeeby starts looking down, "He said their aqidu nikkah date is fixed for 13th of next month, so I will like you to be there..." Says Abby
Rage starts burning in me. Why does he expects me to be there? He knows I hate being the centre of attention, he knows people will be looking at me most and he knows I hate such a thing. Habeeby looks up and our eyes make a contact, I give him a displeasing look thinking he will withdraw the request...
"Is it compulsory I go there? Abby, I don't think I can go" I shrug, frowning my face in disagreement
Abby places his hand on me, "you have to go dear, let them know you are a righteous woman" he says but sounds like an order to me
"OK sir, I will go. Is that all Sir? Because I am busy in the kitchen" I say, trying to get out of there as soon as possible.
"Yes, you can go" he says
I hastily leave and go into the kitchen to do what Ummy asked me to do. The rage is still burning in me, he is now requesting what he knows I won't want to do. Who knows how many more of such requests he will make in the future? I have to let him know he has offended me. I try to pick a glass cup and it fell off my hand! Ummy enters, "what is that?" She asks
"Am sorry ma, I jes break your cup" I say and quickly fake a smile. I pick up the broken pieces into the trash. I and Ummy serve the foods. I wake up my kids and we all ate together on the dinning. After the meal, Abby and Habeeby go back into the room and gist like longtime friends while Ummy goes to her Sister's place and I play with my children. Abby and Habeeby go to the Masjid together for Zhur and later Ashr while I prepare semovita for lunch before their return. Ummy also returns and we all eat together.
After the meal, I dress up and put my kids' bags into the car's boot. Ummy and Abby see us out and we greet the neighbors. They give my kids some money and fruits and bid them goodbye. I give habeeby my car keys since he doesn't come with his, he came on a commercial bus. Ummy ushers my kids into the back seat of the car and I sit at the front. They both wave at us as we drive off.
As the journey proceeds, I play a 2hrs cartoon video of the story of Prophet Yusuf (a.s.w) for my kids to watch on my phone. I and habeeby stay mute like a gentle but deep river. I am determined not to break the silence and he doesn't talk to me either. Maybe he knows how upset I am...
We arrive home at Osogbo around some minutes to 8pm. We reach home, say salam and enter. I offload my kids bags to their room while he goes to the Masjid with Yaseer. I remove my Niqab and also pray in our room, Ramsiyah is asleep already so I carry her into their room. I place her on her bed, the lower bunk of the bed. She has bee sleeping alone with her brother in the room since she was like a year and half. I take some bananas from the fruits given to my kids and go to the sitting room, sit on a sofa and enjoy my bananas
They return from the Masjid, he goes straight into the bedroom after saying his salam and I respond. He is vexing me the more! Yaseer takes from the banana after asking for my permission, he eats and goes into their room.
I enter our room, change to my nightwear and get on the bed. I take the blanket and cover myself, the night is going to be cold today since it almost rained in the evening. I turn my back at him, he is sleeping already - I guess. I can't catch a sleep, it may be because I slept in the morning, so I take my phone and log on to my Facebook account, I browse through the beautiful Islamic write-ups uploaded by my friends and I am very happy "this Ummah still has hope" I conclude
It has now been almost an hour, I now start feeling sleepy. Then I suddenly feel a hug at my back,
"Am feeling cold" he murmurs into my hear, I turn my heat to him
"You aren't sleeping?" I ask.
"Yes, I couldn't when you are angry with me. I am very sorry" he pleads
That is all I want to hear from him after all, I face him and hug him. I sense he is stealthily looking me through and I raise my head to look at him, I catch his looks!
"Why are you looking at me" I ask
"Why can't I look at my precious gem, I will look at you until I bear a hole in your face" he says
I become happy and try to give him a kiss but he holds tight my head and we continue the kiss. I reach out to the light switch behind the bed and I switch THE LIGHT OFF!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vote: Hon Rilwan Adesoji Akanbi for Oyo South Senatorial seat.....under the Platform All progressive congress(A.P.C)